Acute poisoning and poisoning hazard can occur when:

  • breathe in something toxic
  • gets toxic on the skin or eye
  • swallows something toxic

Poison is a substance that in a certain concentration is harmful or deadly. We distinguish between toxicity over time, or substances that are acutely toxic. If you think one person has had contact with something poisonous, should call Emergency 113 or Norwegian Poison Information Centre.

They will help you assess the risk of poisoning. Keep what you think is toxic, e.g. product packaging, fungal or plant residues. This will make it easier for the Poison Information Center to find out what needs to be done. Remember your own safety if there are chemical/corrosive substances or gases.
Always find out which substances are involved. Different substances have different properties, and what you should do depends on several factors. Therefore, you must always seek advice on what to do.

The Poison Information Center, Tel : 22 59 13 00 (open 24 hours)

If you do not see symptoms of poisoning and are unsure if it is serious, also contact the Poison Information.

Inhaled poison

Remember your own safety if someone has inhaled something toxic, do not expose yourself to danger.
Get the person out to fresh air and keep calm. Get the necessary information from the person and contact the Poison Information Center or Emergency 113.

Poisoning via skin or eyes

Toxic and chemical substances on the skin will remain in clothing and on the skin. Take off clothes and rinse the skin as quickly as possible with lukewarm running water. Oil-based products on the skin can be rinsed off with soapy water.
There are substances that are corrosive and require rinsing for several hours. Contact the Poison Information Center for advice.

In case of spills in the eyes, remove glasses or contact lenses. Rinse the eye with lukewarm, running water (bottle/shower) as soon as possible.
Keep your eyelids apart when rinsing so that you rinse the entire eye.

Oral poisoning

Remove any residue in the mouth and rinse the mouth. Be certain that any water isn’t swallowed.
Do not make the person vomit without Emergency 113 or the Poison Information Center asking you to so.
Batteries can be dangerous to swallow. If you suspect that someone has swallowed a small battery, call Emergency 113 immediately.
You need to seek advice on what to do! Always call Emergency 113 or the Poison Information Center (Tel: 22591300) in case of poisoning.