Allergic shock

Severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) means that the body reacts to substances that are basically natural and harmless. The signs can range from mild allergy symptoms to allergic shock. There are only a few who get a serious reaction.

The most common causes of anaphylaxis are:

foods such as nuts, shellfish, eggs and milk
insect bites (bee, wasps or snake bites)

A severe allergic reaction develops quickly and can occur a few minutes after you have been exposed to something you are allergic to. The reaction usually comes within 30 minutes.
Initially, there may be mild allergy symptoms, such as itchy scalp, ear canals, palms and soles of the feet. In case of food allergy, there may be itching around the mouth and throat, or at the bite site if the person has been stung by an insect.

Signs of allergic shock:

  • itchy skin, redness or blisters
  • skin and mucous membranes swell
  • runny nose and sneezing
  • difficulty breathing, cough and feeling of tightness in the throat
  • dizziness and fatigue
  • restlessness or anxiety
  • warmth and palpitations
  • abdominal pain, nausea/vomiting and bowel movements
  • cramps
  • drop in blood pressure with pallor, cold sweats and possible unconsciousness

If you suspect an allergic shock, you must contact Emergency 113, and get advice and guidance on what to do.
It is important to secure the airways.
Some people who are exposed to allergic shock may have an adrenaline syringe with them, this is put in consultation with Emergency 113.